May 31, 2019
This month, PSD community members have been featured for their work discovering the first-ever pockets of seawater preserved from the last Ice Age, recreating the mechanism of cell division outside the cell, and more. In case you missed it, review our news headlines from May 2019.
- Prof. Wendy Freedman comments on a new measurement of Hubble constant.
- See also: WWTW
- Prof. Graham Slater discusses new findings on blue whale size evolution with National Geographic.
- Video: Prof. Daniel Holz explains possible detection of a neutron star being swallowed by a black hole on WTTW.
- Prof. Heather Zheng talks about the benefits of 5G network technology with Crain's.
- Prof. Marcela Carena comments on the importance of updating the European Strategy for Particle Physics with Symmetry.
- Prof. Ben Zhao discusses online privacy and his work to shape solutions.
- Two CS students explain research proposals that earned NSF Graduate Research Fellowships.
- Video: Prof. William Irvine explains the use of 3D printing to create knotted vortex rings with Physics Girl.
- Geophysical scientists discover the first-ever pockets of seawater preserved from the last Ice Age.
- Study recreates the mechanism of cell division outside the cell for the first time.
- UChicago scientists are part of research team that breaks the record for highest-temp superconductor.
- Chemists design method to build molecules that could be drugs—in half the steps.
- Physicists innovate a method to track dark matter by exploiting a potential particle's slightly slower speed.
- BIG program funds ambitious, risky scientific research.
- Fermilab scientist designs innovative spun-sugar electrospinning technique.
- Physicists to study macroscopic quantum phenomena as part of the Simons Collaboration on Ultra-Quantum Matter.
Education and Community
- Northwestern University joins Chicago Quantum Exchange, a step toward advancing quantum information science expertise.
- UChicago grants long-delayed chemistry doctoral degree to Cheryl Sundari Dembe.
- Three third-year undergraduate students awarded Barry Goldwater Scholarships for excellence in STEM.
- UChicago announces recipients of this year's honorary degrees.
- CompileHer Capstone grants middle school girls tech superpowers.
- Prof. Bryan Dickinson named 2019 Camille Dreyfus Teacher Scholar.
- Prof. Gregory Voth receives Royal Society of Chemistry 2019 S F Boys - A Rahman Award.