June 28, 2019
- Prof. Amie Wilkinson discusses dynamical systems, high-level mathematics, and “safe spaces” in academia with Quanta.
- Nova notes Assoc. Prof. David Schuster’s work to improve superconducting qubits used in quantum computers.
- Ozy feature explains Assoc. Prof. Jonathan Simon's research on photons and their potential use in quantum computers.
- Using human genome, scientists build CRISPR for RNA to open pathways for medicine.
- Scientists use atoms to simulate quantum physics in curved spacetimes.
- See also: Phys.org
- Scientists use X-rays from faraway galaxy cluster to reveal secrets of plasma.
- Unique method finds two-toed sloths are last members of ‘extinct’ ancient family.
- Profs. Lamb and Tzeferacos among winners of 2019 APS John Dawson Award for Excellence in Plasma Physics Research.
Education and Community
- Professors Malliaris, Hu, and Lalley announced winners of Quantrell and Graduate Teaching Awards.
- PhD student Gregory Rassolov awarded 2019 Wayne C. Booth Prize.
- PhD student Yuliana Zamora awarded National Physical Science Consortium Fellowship.
- CS PhD student profiled for Harper award-winning research.
- Students earn Nathan Sugarman Awards for Excellence in Undergraduate and Graduate Research.
- First class of astrophysics majors excels at research.
- UChicago’s Class of 2019 celebrates Convocation weekend.