Tax Information for PhD Students


This information is intended to provide a general overview of tax information applicable to PhD students at the University of Chicago. None of the information included below is intended to be individual tax advice. 

Jump to:

Funding Sources for PhD Students

PSD PhD students have three methods of primary funding types from the University of Chicago (Fellowship Stipend, Research Training Assignment, or Pedagogical Training Assignment). PhD students should expect to receive funding letters from their department/program that will notify students of their funding method for the quarter and/or academic year.

All primary funding sources will be paid out in three installments during the quarter at the end of each month. PhD students are encouraged to review the PhD quarterly funding schedule. Most incoming PhD students in Autumn will have their Autumn Quarter payments spread across four payments in Autumn Quarter of their first year only. 

Students can find records of their payments by accessing their payslips in Workday

Departments/programs will notify PhD students about their primary funding type for each quarter. 

Tax Paperwork

PhD students may be asked to complete onboarding paperwork when they matriculate into their program. It is essential to complete this paperwork in a timely manner and by the due dates you are given. You should wait to complete this paperwork until you receive instructions from your department. 

Students on F-1 or J-1 visas who receive payments may be eligible for tax treaty benefits based on their country of residence. More information is available on the tax treaty benefits website.

Tax Forms Students Receive

PhD Students will receive different tax forms depending on their funding source. If students have more than one funding source per year (e.g. Fellowship Stipend in Autumn, Pedagogical Training Assignment in Winter and Spring), they will receive the paperwork associated with each funding source consistent with the table below: 

Funding Source US Citizen or Permanent Resident or Resident for Tax Purposes International Student (F-1 or J-1 visa holder)
Fellowship Stipend No tax form. This is self-reported taxable income (more info) 1042-S (delivered via mail in early April)
Research Training Assignment W-2 W-2^
Pedagogical Training Assignment W-2 W-2^

^ Students with an applicable tax treaty may receive a 1042-S for this funding type

Students should carefully review their funding letters when they receive them to make sure they understand how this will impact the tax information they receive.

Tax Withholding

Tax withholding depends on a number of factors, including the position you are holding, your residency status for tax purposes, and any withholding elections you make on your tax paperwork. The information below provides a summary of tax withholding based on University funding sources for PhD students:

If you are receiving a financial award from outside the University you should follow up with the award provider to determine the tax implications of the award.  

Students studying on a J-1 or F-1 visa are encouraged to explore the tax withholding information for foreign nationals.

US Citizen or Permanent Resident or Resident for Tax Purposes F-1 or J-1 Student (absent an applicable tax treaty) Resources 
Fellowship Stipend Taxes not withheld Taxes withheld at 14% rate Quarterly Estimated Tax Payment Information
Pedagogical Training Assignment Taxes (state and federal) withheld Taxes (state and federal) withheld
Research Training Assignment Taxes (state and federal) withheld Taxes (state and federal) withheld

Tax Resources for PhD Students (US Citizens and Permanent Residents)

Tax Resources for PhD Students (F-1 and J-1 Visa Holders)