Non-Degree Visiting Students


Students from other institutions may enroll at the University of Chicago as a Non-Degree Visiting Student (NDVS) at the invitation of a faculty member in the Physical Sciences Division. NDVS students do not enroll in classes; instead their time is focused on completing research under the supervision of a faculty member.

All NDVS students must comply with the University’s general policies on non-degree visiting students and are responsible for NDVS tuition and fees. The Dean of Students Office manages the process for NDVS students’ admission to the University and can connect NDVS students to campus resources.

Applications should be submitted at least three months prior to the anticipated start date at the University. We strongly recommend choosing start and end dates that align with the University’s academic calendar

Please see below for more information about undergraduate and graduate non-degree visiting student policies and procedures.

Graduate Non-Degree Visiting Students

Students must be enrolled in M.S. or Ph.D programs at another university to be eligible for NDVS status at the University of Chicago. A student may be enrolled in NDVS status for up to four quarters.

Faculty interested in hosting a graduate NDVS student should contact the Dean of Students Office, which will work with the faculty and prospective visiting student to make arrangements.

Undergraduate Non-Degree Visiting Students 

Undergraduate students in advanced undergraduate degree-seeking status at their home institution are eligible to enroll as NDVS students at the University of Chicago at the invitation of a faculty member. An undergraduate NDVS may be enrolled in NDVS status for up to four quarters.

As part of the application process through Slate, applicants will be asked to provide the following information:

  • Name(s) of the faculty member(s) with whom the applicant will be conducting research
  • The start and end dates of the student’s visit
  • The quarter(s) during which the student will be in residence
  • A statement of research goals
  • One letter of recommendation from someone other than the faculty member(s) at the University of Chicago with whom the student will be working

International Students

International students who obtain the appropriate visa are eligible to enroll as NDVS students at the University of Chicago. International applicants will be asked to provide the following information:

  • Proof of financial resources to cover anticipated tuition, fees, and living expenses
  • A copy of the passport ID page
  • Satisfaction of the English Language Requirements by one of the following methods:
    • A TOEFL total score of at least 90 or better or an IELTS speaking section score of 7 or better;
    • A transcript from an academic institution in the United States, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the Caribbean countries of Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, or an English-medium institution in Canada or South Africa documenting that the student has been enrolled in coursework full-time, earning passing grades, for at least one of the 5 years prior to applying
    • Obtaining a result of “Basic” or better on the Academic English Proficiency Assessment (AEPA) conducted by the Office of Language Assessment. In cases where it is required, the AEPA will be arranged once an application has been submitted. For more details, please review the AEPA website

Tuition and Fees

Tuition and fees for 2020-2021 consist of $1,353 per quarter in tuition, $416 per quarter in required fees, and $1,522 per quarter for the University Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP). Students may also satisfy the insurance requirement by providing proof of comparable coverage, in which case they are eligible to waive the U-SHIP requirement. International applicants also need to demonstrate access to at least $5,490 per quarter to cover living expenses.

Tuition and fees are not prorated for shorter visits, so we recommend choosing start and end dates that adhere to the University’s academic calendar whenever possible.

Contact for Questions

Sierra Sterling, Assistant Dean of Students