Tax Information for Graduate Students

Overview of Tax Information

The Bursar’s Office provides a general overview of tax documents, reporting responsibilities, resources (both no-cost and paid) for assistance with filing taxes, and frequently asked questions. You can access these by expanding the accordions on the Bursar’s website.

Generally speaking, all students (regardless of nationality) who receive payments from the University (stipend, fellowship, teaching assistantship, research assistantship) are required to report taxable income and file taxes annually.


Tax Information Sessions

Tax information sessions are typically offered annually to provide an overview of filing obligations and frequently asked questions. These sessions typically take place early in the calendar year in anticipation of the tax-filing deadline in mid-April. 

Students are encouraged to attend Tax Information Sessions.

You can register for an information session by visiting and navigating to the event.

Previously recorded Tax Information Sessions are available online

Students with general tax questions should email, who can connect you with the appropriate resources.

International Students

All Non-Resident (for US Tax Purposes) F and J international students and scholars who were present in the U.S. during any portion of the past calendar year are required to file tax forms with the United States federal government. This is true whether or not you worked in the U.S., gained income in the U.S., or received a scholarship during the past calendar year.

In addition to the resources above, international students can also review the tax responsibilities for international students summary available on the Office of International Affairs website