May 19, 2021
The Physical Sciences Division has selected ten graduate students to receive a William Rainey Harper Dissertation Fellowship for the 2021-2022 academic year.
The intent of the award is two-fold: to recognize significant achievement and to facilitate completion of the doctoral degree. This award, one of the University of Chicago’s highest honors, is given in recognition of a PhD candidate’s record of achievement and professional promise. The Harper Dissertation Fellowship provides a stipend of $4,000.
Congratulations to this year’s recipients:
- Nora Bailey, Astronomy & Astrophysics; Daniel Fabrycky, advisor
- Jaehyeok Jin, Chemistry; Greg Voth, advisor
- John Devaney, Physics; Margaret Gardel, advisor
- Peter Morfe, Mathematics; Takis Souganidis, advisor
- Pinhan Chen, Statistics; Chao Gao, advisor
- Justin Podowski, Geophysical Sciences; Maureen Coleman, advisor
- Ruiyi Yang, Computational and Applied Mathematics; Daniel Sanz-Alonso, advisor
- Vedant Sachdeva, Biophysical Sciences; Arvind Murugan and Stephanie Palmer, advisors
- Jean Salac, Computer Science; Diana Franklin, advisor
- Zihan Tan, Computer Science; Julia Chuzhoy, advisor