Autumn 2023 New Student Information
Welcome to the University of Chicago
We look forward to welcoming all of our incoming MS and PhD students to the University of Chicago for the 2023-2024 academic year. Please see below for more information about preparing for Autumn Quarter and orientation activities.
- Review the Newly Admitted Student Resources page
- This page includes information about setting up your UChicago email account, required safety trainings, housing resources, and more
- Make sure you have access to documents/information
- MS and PhD students: all students attending in-person will be required by the State of Illinois and The University of Chicago to provide proof of required immunizations. Please make sure you have access to your immunization records.
- PhD students: PhD students may be required to complete onboarding tasks to receive payment. You will receive detailed information in the coming weeks about next steps, but please ensure you have access to identification documents (e.g. passport, other forms of ID) to complete onboarding processes.
- Review the 2023 Online Orientation materials available via Canvas (you will receive an email invitation to access the course in August)
- Review the New Student Checklists for MS and PhD students
The Division plans to host an in-person orientation event at the Logan Center for the Arts (915 E 60th St) on September 19, 2023 from 9:00 am - 10:00 am.
Students will have the opportunity to meet Dean of Students Office staff and other faculty and staff from the Division.
This event is not required, but attendance is encouraged.
Please complete this brief survey to let us know if you are able to attend.
The Division will provide online orientation materials (via Canvas) that incoming graduate students can review at their own pace. Incoming students will receive an email invitation to access the Canvas materials in August.
Orientation activities vary by department/program. Please use the information below to contact your Student Affairs Administrator in your degree program if you have any questions about orientation activities:
|Astronomy & Astrophysics PhD Program
|Biophysical Sciences PhD Program
|Computational and Applied Mathematics MS and PhD Programs
|Chemistry PhD Program
|Computer Science PhD Program
|Geophysical Sciences PhD Program
|Masters Program in Computer Science (MPCS)
|Applied Data Science MS Program
|Applied Data Science
|Mathematics PhD Program
|Physics PhD Program
|Statistics MS and PhD Programs
Visit the UChicagoGRAD Graduate Student Orientation page for more information about University-wide Orientation events for incoming graduate and professional students.
The Autumn Schedule of Classes for graduate-level classes will be published on August 28, 2023. Students can access the schedule of classes online after that date.
Graduate student registration for Autumn Quarter begins on September 18, 2023 at 8:30 AM CDT. The Autumn Quarter add/drop period will last until October 13, 2023 at 5:00 PM. (Please note: Students in the MS in Applied Data Science program complete registration one week prior to other PSD graduate students).
You will receive additional instructions and guidance from your department or program about registration processes in your specific program. General information about the process is available on the DOS website.