Instructions for PIs and Core Facility Managers
- Read the PSD Lab Research Resumption Implementation Plan guidance.
- Complete the PSD Lab/Core Facility Research Resumption Form. Examples of completed forms, including a sample of a non-lab resumption plan, are provided in the downloads section below.
- Send your plan to your department/institute contact for department/institute review.
- Once your plan is approved by the PSD Dean’s Office, upload it to the University’s website and provide the information requested there. Webform submission instructions provided below.
- Ensure that you and your team members complete the Office of Research Safety (ORS) COVID-19-related safety training at https://ehsa.uchicago.edu/training.
- Each member must also complete the University attestation (attestations must be completed quarterly).
- Ensure that your team members are familiar with UCAIR and the University’s guidance on public health.
- Post your plan on your laboratory or workspace door (do not include the personnel sheet).
For both laboratory and non-laboratory based research groups with approved RRPs, a designated member of the research group should conduct a walkthrough at least twice per week and submit the UChicago COVID-19 Workspace Safety REDCap webform for each walkthrough. The form should be submitted even if no issues are observed. If activities for that research group are conducted entirely remotely for a week, a physical walkthrough is not necessary, but we ask that you complete the form for your research group using N/A as appropriate.
No one should be pressured to work on campus if they are uncomfortable doing so, and retaliatory action taken against anyone who prefers not to return to work on campus due to concerns about infection will not be tolerated. Students who have concerns can contact the PSD Dean of Students, Bahareh Lampert (firstname.lastname@example.org) and research staff and postdoctoral scholars who have concerns can contact their Human Resources Partner or Divisional Administrator Susan Hearth (email@example.com), in addition to departmental representatives.
Once you have an approved research resumption plan (RRP), you may wish to make minor changes to it. We consider minor changes to be revisions to a plan that do not alter the density of personnel in your approved RRP. Minor changes include:
- Addition/replacement/removal of essential personnel (including undergraduates)
- Addition of in-person training
- Addition of shared instrument and/or modification to current usage
- Changes to the physical laboratory facility
To submit minor changes to your approved RRP, submit the following to your department administrator:
- A completed Minor RRP Change Checklist
- A personnel sheet clearly indicating the essential personnel to be added and removed (if applicable)
- Either a description of any changes to your plan, taking care to explain how you will maintain appropriate social distancing, or an edited plan. If the latter, please be sure to highlight the changes
For other amendments not covered in the Minor RRP Change Checklist, please follow the instructions below and submit the following to your department/institute contact for department/institute review:
- A personnel sheet clearly indicating the essential personnel to be added and removed.
- Either a description of any changes to your plan, taking care to explain how you will maintain appropriate social distancing, or an edited plan. If the latter, please be sure to highlight the changes.
Once your plan is recommended by the department/institute and approved by the PSD, you will be notified and can submit your update to the University (see link to Amend Your Approved Research Resumption Plan under Take Action).
- PSD Implementation Plan Guidance (Updated for undergraduate changes on Jan. 7, 2021)
- PSD Implementation Form for PIs (Updated for Phase 3 on Aug. 6, 2020)
- Personnel List (Updated for Phase 3 on Aug. 6, 2020; click download)
- Minor RRP Change Checklist
- Human Subjects Research Guidance (New, April 12, 2021)
- Research Resumption Roles and Responsibilities
- Webform Submission Instructions
- Sample Plans:
- Aaron Dinner (Chair), Deputy Dean
- Andy Campbell, Deputy Dean
- Andy Davis, Geophysical Sciences
- Bryan Dickinson, Chemistry
- Margaret Gardel, Physics
- Shan Lu, Computer Science
- Jeff McMahon, Astronomy & Astrophysics and KICP
- David Miller, EFI
- Dan Nicolae, Statistics
- Jonathan Simon, JFI
- Shmuel Weinberger, Mathematics
- Astronomy & Astrophysics: Jennifer Smith
- Chemistry: Trudy Beaubrun
- Computer Science: Nita Yack
- Geophysical Sciences: Jolene Hanchar
- Mathematics: Judy Garza
- Physics: Shadla Cycholl
- Statistics: Yolanda Tyler
- EFI: Sandy Heinz
- KICP: Maureen Lowery
- IBD: Julie Feder
- JFI: Shay Purba